Tuesday 31 January 2023

[TTRPG] - Obsolete Shitty Rules (The TRUE OSR) - Kickstarter is LIVE

 



Interesting looking "OSR" parody game, designed for one shots run. In an age of rpgs coming out what seems like daily, it is refreshing to see one that is trying something different vibe wise. Everything takes itself so serious nowadsy that seeing something that is just unapologetically silly just stands out.

The art is exceptional, Roberto Toderico reminds me of old 80s 2000AD stuff. I also love the heavy metal vibe it the art has as well. That mix of Horror, Scifi and Fantasy. I think it really fits the project ideals with it being so crazy.

The game has some strange ideas in it.. like you can "win". Players and the Dm both gain XP via the tables and generated content and this XP is used in the final showdown were the players and the DM go head to head vs each other. (?!) In addition to this sort of players vs DM thing going on and the book, from my understanding, is mainly a massive list of tables and other generators. The idea is that there is no prep-time. You just rock on and start playing in a very free form way creating content on the fly. Every player question (I assume within reason) forces a die roll that pushes the game into new directions. So the DM has to adjust to these new plot direction which are out of his control.

I have no idea if this is going to be good or not. All I do know is that to me, it feels different, that that ain't a bad thing.

I do think that the "one-shot" nature... claiming to be little to no prep-time and also being a "new" experience independent of the GM, so even the GM dose not know what is happening.. means this could be a great RPG for boardgame groups.

#DNDbeGone

No comments:

Post a Comment